Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day One...



Day One Lesson Plan:


Pages 1-2, Hearts & Hands


Pages 1-5 Science


Pages 1-5 History


Pages 1-4 Handwriting


SIGHT WORDS FOR WEEK ONE: THE & AND




Notes about each lesson:


Hearts & Hands is really simple for H2, but I like the Handwriting part of it and it reinforces letters & letter sounds. This book also has a lot of following directions style coloring pages - which I like, but H2 does NOT like because he does NOT like to color at all. He gets bored and usually only colors a tiny portion of each section.

H2 enjoyed the Science lessons. He liked me reading to him, and he identifying his sight words of the week ('the' and 'and'). He followed along as I read the pages and he said every "the" & "and" in the lesson. He like drawing a picture, but did not like coloring the Earth. He said that he wished the Earth was smaller!


History was kind of boring for H2 today. I did not make him do the bible verse copy work as I don't think he's quite ready for that kind of intense handwriting. For now I will just write the verse in and we'll read it together. He continued to read his sight words along with me. Oh ~ and he still doesn't want to color!!


Handwriting was SUPER simple for H2. The beginning of this handwriting book is WAY easy in my opinion, stuff that he's been doing for quite a while. We are still going to complete these assignments, so as to do the entire curriculum, but he zips through it.




Lessons that MOMMY learned in homeschooling today:

  • Teaching your own kid requires patience and a good attitude. I will pray for this constantly.

  • I have to remind myself that even though H2 is bright, he still has a 4 year old attention span.

  • Curriculums are great, but I will edit/adjust things that H2 has already mastered.

  • NO TOYS at the school table!!!!!! Those Lego's were just too tempting.

All in all, a great first day of homeschooling. We did NOT do all of these lessons right in a row. We took play breaks & snack breaks, etc. That is my favorite part of homeschooling: being able to go at a pace that is good for H2 (and me), and being able to break up the day so that he stays intersted and focused. Very important for a 4 year old!!

No comments:

Post a Comment